Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Six More Weeks....Are You Sure?

Well, the great prognosticator has spoken.  “Six more weeks until spring”.  Whew, that's great news because I don't know what I would have done if he had said there would be six more weeks of winter!  The cooler weather reminds me a lot of my childhood and a lot of fond memories growing up, but it is starting to wear out its welcome.
 
I must say, however, despite the frigid bouts of Polar Vortex I have enjoyed much of the winter months.  I usually save up my outdoor projects for the wintertime.  I’m getting older and the heat isn’t as friendly to me as it used to be!  There is always the usual work to be done:  cleaning gutters, washing the house, staining the deck, trimming the trees – it just never seems to end.  But, I am holding Phil to his word that the weather will break in 42 days, the sun will be shining, the birds will be chirping and life will begin to renew in North Georgia……
 
That sounds really nice, but I am not holding my breath!  My prediction is that spring will be coming the second week of April.  I’m just not so sure we will have seen the end of the cold weather by the beginning of March.  I am hoping that our ‘mild’ trend holds out for us.  Let the north have the snow – it’s GREAT for their economy.  Unless we get enough snow to ride my snowmobile – I don’t want it!
 
I recently had the opportunity to visit some friends in Florida.  While Florida isn’t necessarily my cup of tea, anymore, the weather was really nice.  We had a few nights where the temps dipped into the 30’s but that was a cakewalk after what we have been enduring in North Georgia.  It was still typically in the mid 60’s during the day.  The news outlets in Florida never cease to amuse me, however.  You would think a frost advisory was really the sign of the apocalypse.  The forecast one night was for the temps to dip to 30 degrees!  “THIRTY DEGREES – RUN PEOPLE, RUN.  SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!!”  I was fearful going to bed that I might wake the next day to earthquakes, plague and locust swarms by the way the news people were talking.  Fortunately, the dawn came with a light frost and afternoon temps reaching the high 60’s.  Tragedy averted. 
 
As I write this I am seeing headlines popping up about stranded travelers in the North.  Another big winter storm is moving in on them and it appears that many Super Bowl attendees have been stranded.  Honestly, they aren’t getting any more snow now than what I remember getting as a kid in the north – and it really is good for their economy.  The ski resorts should be loving life and the snowmobile riders are finally getting a winter that’s worthwhile.  I’m guessing a good part of the population is hoping that Phil was right with his prediction – but I wouldn’t put money on it.  Nonetheless, I will be rushing to get my annual chores done in the next 42 days.  After all, Phil does have a 50/50 chance of getting it right!
 
Have you experienced any travel woes from the weather or have any stories you’d like to share?  Please feel free to comment below or e-mail me and I’ll publish in this post.
 
 
 
Photo Courtesy of Brian Freeman


 
Here is to hoping that spring will have sprung in 42 days along the Coosawattee River.

Till next time,

Chris

1 comment:

john schultz said...

Take a look outside a post a current picture and tell me if its 6 more weeks......
LOL